Fees and refunds
The Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), the Greater London Authority (GLA) and the Mayor of London, subsidise our courses. There are three fees for most courses. The following fees apply to UK and EU citizens who have been residents in the UK or EU for at least the previous three years:
- Standard fee - for those who are not on benefits
- Concessionary fee for:
The ESFA/Mayor of London will only fund tuition fees for those on certain benefits (see below for details). However, Hammersmith and Fulham Adult Learning and Skills Service will still continue to help you financially if you are claiming any of the following:
- Universal Credit (UC)
- Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefit (not single occupancy)
- Working Tax Credit
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment(PIP)
- Some accredited/qualification courses:
- ESA WRAG
- Universal Credit - mandated to work or training
- Courses with zero cost
For some accredited courses look out for £0 - it means the course is free. If you are unemployed and are in receipt of any other type of benefit and believe the course will help you find employment then the course may also be free for you.
Proof of entitlement must be current, a letter no more than three months before the date of enrolment. The JSA booklet is not acceptable proof. For Universal Credit we will accept a print-out from the website accompanied by a recent bank statement showing the benefit.
If you earn less than £21,157.50 gross per year (resident in London) or £17,004 gross per year (resident outside of London, but resident in England), annually (gross salary), then a discretionary decision may be made to have fees waived for some accredited courses. Please bring your last three payslips with you then you come in to enrol.
- Full fee
If you are a UK or EU citizen and have not been resident in the UK or EU for at least the previous three years then the full fee will apply.
Please note - If only one fee is shown for the course, there are no concessions.
Level 3 courses
We are unable to offer concessions for level 3 courses, please ask at interview about sources of funding.
If you are under 19
Our courses leading to qualifications are designed for adults and we receive no funding for under 19s. If you are under 19 and interested in doing a course please contact us for further information.
Exam fees and equipment
For most qualification courses the exam fee and basic equipment are included in the published fee. Please ask at interview.
National Insurance number
(Required by the ESFA/GLA)
You must provide your National Insurance number at the time of enrolment..
We accept the following payment methods:
- Debit / Credit cards - We accept all Visa and MasterCard debit and credit cards. We are unable to accept Amex (American Express). You can make your payment over the phone or online if you are paying the standard fee. Please call us on 020 8753 3600, if you are paying the concession or full fee.
- Cash - If you are paying by cash, please can you ensure you have the correct fee as we may not always be able to give change. * Due to current Covid-19 restrictions, we are unable to accept cash payments at this time.
- Cheque - Please make your cheque payable to London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham or LBHF. We cannot accept a cheque that has been made payable to HFALS, as the bank will not accept this and we will have to return the cheque to you. * Due to current Covid-19 restrictions, we are unable to accept cheque payments at this time.
Students who are enrolling on a year-long course can apply to pay in instalments. Please ask when enrolling. First instalment is taken at the time of enrolment. Please note once you are enrolled all installments must be paid.
Invoicing your employer
We can invoice your employer for course fees. You must show written proof, on letter headed paper, that your employer agrees to pay and an additional fee of £30 is charged for administration.
A full or partial refund of your course fee will only be made when:
- We close, merge or reschedule your course and you cannot get to the alternative.
- There is a medical reason supported by a certificate or doctor’s letter.
An administrative charge of £12 will be made for this refund. We do not provide refunds where individual sessions have to be cancelled, but will make every effort to offer an alternative session.
- If you paid by debit/credit card, we will require the original card used in order to provide a refund.
- Please note where a refund is approved, we are able to do this immediately for card payments but for fees paid in cash or by cheque, it will be processed within one week (at the beginning of terms this process may take longer).
If you have been given credit, please use it within the academic year.